Saturday, May 27, 2017

Old Time Stack Cake



Growing up I can remember my Mamaw Ross making her dried apple stack cakes.    Seems like she made them all the time.   I think, they must have been a favorite of our whole family, well next to her fruitcake.   I can remember my papaw building her a place outside so she could dry out her apples and he would build a fire underneath and she would lay her apples on top of this thing he build.  I really no idea what to  call it, but it worked.   The apples she dried had a smokey taste that was different but really good.

In the picture above is  an apple stack cake I had made a couple years ago.  I used some homemade apple butter I had made.  It was good but not near as good as I remember my mamaw's being. It had to be the way she dried her apples and used them.  It's the little things in life you miss.  

These are better if you wrap them in saran wrap  for  a day or two.  The longer they set the better they taste.

Old time stack cake, recipe as used by Mollie Ross.

3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 c. sorghum
1 c. buttermilk
6 c. flour plus a little extra for rolling
3 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger

Preheat oven to 375
Sift dry ingredients together
Cream shortening, sugar, sorghum, eggs and milk.
Add flour mixture until stiff dough.
Put dough onto floured board
Small portions at a time, roll thin.
Cut out with a 10 in  lid or pie pan.
 Bake 10 mins. or until golden brown
Put layers together with dried apples or applebutter.

Makes 12 layers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mackerel Cakes

                                                         Mackerel Cakes  This is how I make my mackerel cakes.   This recipe is what I ...