Thursday, May 25, 2017

Canning carrots and potatoes in onion soup mix.


I had been watching a couple youtube videos about canning and came across  a video on Linda's pantry.  She was canning carrots and potatoes and was adding onion soup mix to each jar.   Of course, that made me want to try it and I'm so happy I did.  I not sure how they will taste but they sure smelled good coming out of the canner.    I do one of the disclaimers on this is its not an approved canning method.  I don't know why it wouldn't be, unless it has something to do the with the beef broth in the onion soup mix.  But anyway, I will share the how-to-do with this or at least how I did it.


Cut up your carrots and potatoes.  The potatoes do need to be blanched for about 10 mins to get some of the starch out of them.   Once your done blanching your potatoes, add them along with the carrots to your jars.  Then add a tablespoonful of soup mix per quart jar or two teaspoonful per pint jar.  Then add hot water, put your lids and rings on and into the canner.   Depending on where you live, determines your time and pressure.   I did mine at 10 lb pressure for 40mins.   I did what the time is given  for canning potatoes.   I hope you find this helpful and want to give it a try yourself.  Happy canning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mackerel Cakes

                                                         Mackerel Cakes  This is how I make my mackerel cakes.   This recipe is what I ...